For Immediate Release from SciCan Ltd.
February 7, 2020
OPTIM is effective against Novel Coronavirus
TORONTO, CANADA | OPTIM has demonstrated effectiveness against similar Novel Coronavirus on hard non-porous surfaces and non-invasive medical devices. This product can therefore be used against 2019-nCoV when used in accordance with the directions for use against Poliovirus on hard, non-porous surfaces, and non-invasive medical devices.
This enveloped virus, also known as 2019-nCoV, is part of a family of viruses that can cause a range of illnesses from the common cold to SARS and MERS. What makes this coronavirus unique is that it is a strain never before seen in humans. While it is new, is belongs to a class of viruses that are easier to kill than much tougher viruses like Poliovirus or Norovirus.
OPTIM meets the requirements of the EPA’s emerging viral pathogens claim, Health Canada’s Broad Spectrum Virucide claim for the emerging pathogens, and the European CEN’s overview standard EN 14885 and virucidal standard EN 14476.
OPTIM Blue and OPTIM 33TB have a one-minute virucidal contact time. And OPTIM 1 has a 30-second vircudial contact time.* That means the surface must remain wet for only 1 minute in order to inactivate viruses including Novel Coronavirus.
For the public, this outbreak has heightened awareness around the dangers and spread of viruses, but for health care workers it reinforces that importance of properly completing and monitoring standard infection control protocol.
Oral healthcare workers are to follow standard infection control protocol.
Between patient visits, clean and disinfect all clinical contact surfaces such as dental chairs. Also, make sure to regularly cleans and disinfect surfaces that present the highest risk of infection in your SteriCentre (e.g. surfaces that come into contact with contaminated instruments and gloves.)
Before you clean or disinfect contaminated surfaces, ensure you are wearing the proper PPE as per local infection control guidelines. As stated, on OPTIM disinfectants’ Safety Data Sheets, PPE is not required to handle the product because it is not an irritation to the skin. However, PPE such as utility gloves must be worn to protect oral health care workers from infectious materials.
OPTIM Instructions for Use:
Before using OPTIM in your office for the first time, remove any residue left on surfaces from your previous disinfectant by washing all surfaces with soap and warm water. Thoroughly dry them.
1. To use OPTIM wipes, pull out a pre-moistened wipe at a 45-degree angle and close the lid.
2. When using the Ready-to-use OPTIM liquid, spray the solution onto a SciCan Dry Towelette.
3. Wipe the surface down evenly and thoroughly to clean and disinfect. Evenly apply to surfaces to avoid any unnecessary pooling.
4. Be sure to leave the surface wet for the contact time indicated on the label.
5. When using any disinfectant on surfaces it is best practice to periodically rinse and dry surfaces with soap and water. Our recommendation is to do this at least once a week.
Please contact us at 1-800-667-7733 with any questions.
* OPTIM 33TB is available in Canada, the U.S., and Europe. OPTIM 1 is available in the U.S. and Europe. And OPTIM Blue is available in Europe.